Monday, January 2, 2012

Review: Halflings

Halflings by Heather Burch
Expected Publication Date: February 1, 2012 by Zondervan Publishing
4 out of 5 stars

Halflings is about a seventeen year old girl who is being followed by unearthly beings bent on destroying her. Her only chance of survival? Three young men who seem to be more than human.

Nikki Youngblood has encounters with otherworldly beings and she doesn't understand why the new young men at school seem so familiar. The more she looks into it, she begins to realize that these men are able to do things that normal humans can't. She is able to confront them and finds out that they are angels that were sent to protect her and someone they have yet to realiize yet.

I loved the spin on angels that this story presented. The biggest thing that bothered me was that Nikki seemed to be able to get all her answers from Mace too easily. I felt like it should have been a little harder for him to share his mission with a girl he wasn't supposed to be getting to close to.

I loved that you were able to relate to all of the characters. Mace is just the all around good guy, Raven is the bad boy who is falling for Nikki against his better judgement, and Vine is the fun loving, younger brother.

Nikki goes through a lot in this book and finds it hard to know who to trust. At the end of the book she has to pick between two groups- the angels she has started to believe in or the supposed family friend. The book ends with her choice being made and sets it up for a second installment.

I personally can not wait to read the next book in this series! I am interested to see exactly what unfolds.

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh, I got this from Netgalley too but haven't started on it yet! I've heard some good things and bad things from other readers, so I'm still a little hesitant. I love that you state what happens in the book so I'll know what to expect when I really pick the book up. This is a love triangle story, right? Haha. Love triangles and me are kinda in a love/hate relationship, but I really want to try this out and see which side of the relationship this one falls on.

    Great review! I think I'll push this up my TBR pile now.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Understandable :) I have a tbr pile in my room that's taller than me! haha I really enjoyed it and it sets it up for the next book :) Let me know what you think of it when you are able to read it!

    ReplyDelete